College of Nursing
The University of Nebraska School of Nursing opened on October 16, 1917. In 1972 the School of Nursing was elevated to a college. In 1974 the nursing campus at Lincoln was founded. The Scottsbluff division was founded in 1987, the Kearney division in 1991, and the Norfolk division in 2003.
Dr. Rena Boyle, Ph.D. joined the University of Nebraska as the Associate Dean of Nursing in 1967. After the University of Nebraska Medical Center became a semi-autonomous unit of the University of Nebraska in 1968, Boyle became the Dean of the School of Nursing. In 1972, the School was elevated to a College. She was instrumental in establishing the Lincoln nursing campus and oversaw the construction of the new College of Nursing building in Omaha.
Oral history excerpt from Rena Boyle, Dean of the College of Nursing. The clip covers the transition from a school to college of nursing. This interview was recorded July 6, 1979. (View streaming video of this excerpt.)